News Flash From CJBS! A Surge In Unemployment Insurance Fraud Claims.
Dear Clients and Friends,
Since the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance Program (PUA) launched in May of 2020, Unemployment Insurance Fraud (UIF) claims have been on the rise. Have you received a letter from unemployment confirming you have been approved for benefits without ever filing a claim? If so, you are not alone. We are here to help guide our Clients and/or Businessowners through the critical steps needed to report the claim and help protect any compromised identity.
If you believe an UIF claim has been filed on your behalf and you are an Illinois:
- Call IDES at (800) 814-0513; (See Department of Labor office for all state contact listings.)
- File a police report;
- Don’t call KeyBank or activate a debit card if you received one but rather destroy it; and
- Review your credit summary for other fraudulent activities by requesting a free credit report.
- Promptly inform your team members and have them monitor their credit report;
- Report the claim as soon as possible by filing a protest of Notice of Claim;
- Email a spreadsheet to and to include:
- All affected Employees first & last names
- Employers name
- All fraudulent Claim ID
- A good reminder to check you company’s cyber defense for added security.
It’s important to note that starting November 6, 2020, IDES will be issuing all Statements of Benefit Charges and Statement of Amount Due for Benefits Paid on MyTax.Illinois.gov. We advise you to utilize the MyTax platform and review all claims so that you may proactively assist your employees. As always, we are here to answer any questions you may have.
Stay safe and healthy,
The CJBS team